Pages

Advertisement

Monica Rose: A fashionista behind the Kardashian's style

Monica Rose is famous for being the Kardashians personal stylist.



What made you want to become a stylist? How did you get your start?
I grew up in a small town in Northern California. After high school, I moved to LA and had no idea what I wanted to do. I had always worked in clothing stores, and fashion kind if fell into my lap. Where I’m from, people don’t really get into fashion. There were no reality shows about stylists when I was young, so I wasn’t even aware of what a “stylist” was. I had no idea I was going to be a stylist. I worked in many boutiques in LA. My last job was on Robertson Blvd, before it was a celebrity hot-spot. Back then, it was more clientile based with wealthy women just spending a lot of money. That is where I began styling. I had a lot of clients in New York and other cities, so I would put together outfits for them and send them out on approval. I worked with a lot of stylist too that would come in to shop for there clients. I kind of studies them and ask a lot of questions. I was just so curious on what they did on a day to day basis. One day a photographer asked me if I would work with him on some test shoots, and that was it. It just came very natural to me and I knew that was what I wanted to do.

What is your typical day?
For me every day is anything but typical! There’s always something different from each day to the next. But if I had to describe my more typical days, I would say they consist of balancing my personal clients, such as the Kardashians, with my job as Key Stylist of The Daily 10 on E! Entertainment. I am always doing pulls, answering emails & phone calls, returning items and doing fittings all this with photo shoots and events in between. Things can get pretty hectic but I always manage to make it work.


How would you describe Kim’s style?
Kim is one of those people that can go from edgy, to girlie, to classic and always look amazing. But no matter what we put her in, she always looks sexy, feminine, and put together.

If you could choose any celebrity living or dead to “make-over” who would it be and why?
I would love to make-over Jessica Simpson. She’s a gorgeous, curvy woman, and I just think she doesn’t know how to dress for her body type. I’ve heard she’s a lot smaller than she looks, because she doesn’t cater to her shape. I would love to show her how.


Is there one look our outfit that you styled that you would consider your most favorite?
I will always love Kim’s 2009 Grammy look that I did, the outfit she wore while hosting the Leather and Laces party this year in Miami, and the Balenciaga dress she wore to the opening of Eve nightclub in Las Vegas December 2009. The amazing thing about Kim is that she can go from super sexy to fashion forward and it never looks forced!

What’s the biggest challenge when styling a celebrity?
I would say probably the biggest challenge is keeping up with their hectic schedules! It takes a lot of work and planning ahead. My clients are great because their personalities play a huge part of their style, which makes it easier to know what they will want to wear. It’s also got a lot easier as I’ve gotten closer to my clients. I have a far better idea of what will work than I did when I first started working with them.

Have you ever had a designer who refused to send you clothes?
Yes, I won’t say names, but there have definitely been a few. It’s always challenging getting wardrobe, especially during awards season. When I first started, everyone said no to me. But since then I’ve built relationships with showrooms and stores, and that’s the key.

The Rachel Zoe Project is major. Would you ever want to have your own styling show? What would make your show different if you did have one?
I’ve never really thought about it. I guess if I had one, I would make it different by showing viewers how to mix highs and lows, how to dress for their body, and what really goes on behind the scenes. The hard parts of the job! Not just the fun stuff.

Who in your opinion has flawless style?
For red carpet, I love Zoe Saldana and Diane Kruger. They are flawless! For everyday style, it has to be Kate Moss. She can do no wrong in my book!

Name your three favorite shopping destinations?
The Rose Bowl Flea Market, Robertson Blvd., and H&M.


Name three items no woman should have in her closet.
Oh there’s way more than three! But if I had to pick three, I would say Ed Hardy, Crocs and anything that’s not age appropriate.

Would you ever consider styling in NYC?
I’m not saying I won’t ever consider it, but LA is definitely the place for me right now. My family’s here, all of my clients are here, and the show I work on is here. So for right now, I would have to say no. But you never know what the future will hold!

Any future projects you want to plug or share with our readers?
Right now, I’m very busy with my clients, so it’s hard to put my time and energy into anything else. But I’m focusing on dedicating more time to my blog (www.monicarosestylist.blogspot.com) for my fans. But I’m always open to new opportunities!

monica rose interview Kardashian stylist Celebrity stylist